Overview of Position
MINT’s mission is to make Atlanta a destination for the arts: a cultural hub where artists thrive, patrons experience transformative work, and communities are activated and engaged. MINT believes that art enriches the world, and our dynamic programming, exhibitions and community partnerships serve artists and art enthusiasts alike. In support of MINT’s mission and vision, the Executive Director (ED) provides strong strategic vision and leadership, successfully raises funds, intentionally elevates the visibility of the organization and its work, works collaboratively with the board, staff and artists, and effectively manages the day-to-day operations of the organization. The ED is committed to arts and culture – particularly as it relates to the landscape of contemporary art in Atlanta – and fosters an environment where creativity, positive energy, and MINT thrive.
The Executive Director is a humble, empathetic leader and creative visionary who works with the board, staff, partners, and the community to develop and implement the strategic direction of making Atlanta a destination for the arts. This role will be taking over specific ED responsibilities from our current Interim ED who will continue in the Executive Artistic Director position. The ED will lead staff members and oversee an annual budget of approximately $350K-$500K, while providing sound management of the organization’s internal operations and external relationships with partners, community members, and industry networks. The ED reports to the Board of Directors through the Board Chair and Executive Committee.
- Serves as the key spokesperson for MINT and is its public face to the community, including attending industry forums, and participating in Leadership groups.
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to ensure organizational alignment across strategic initiatives
- Engages and communicates with the Board of Directors and its committees.
- Provides leadership for the community on issues affecting the arts and culture environment, in keeping with the organization’s mission and strategic plan.
- Hires, leads, manages, and evaluates staff in accordance with the organization’s vision and goals
- Develops and manages an annual operating plan for MINT, a comprehensive annual budget to support that plan, and presents both to the board and its committees during the annual budget approval process.
- Manages complex budgets and ensures grant and contract requirements are met.
Assures the financial transparency and stability of MINT through the strong stewardship of resources, including:
- Managing bookkeeper and ensuring all relevant taxes and business registrations are kept up to date
- Meeting or exceeding nonprofit accounting & financial management standards
- Administering funds according to the approved budget;
- Implements a board development process and structure and ensure ongoing engagement of the Board of Directors.
- Provides onsite presence by attending MINT events: exhibit openings, artist’s talks, fundraisers, etc.
Fundraising and Development
- Maintains/creates a donor management system to ensure proper tracking of fundraising efforts. Tracks and generates reports on monthly donors, board campaigns, collectors, major donors for use in targeted donor communications.
- Leads the organization’s revenue growth efforts by:
- Raising funds from individuals/members, foundations, and corporations/businesses by soliciting donations
- Writing and Managing grants, Federal/Local (NEA, Fulton County, City of Atlanta, GCA), Community Foundation, and Family Foundation grants ( writing, LOI submission, reporting, invoicing, and vendor tracking)
- Identifying and soliciting donations by building and maintaining key relationships with foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- Increasing earned income through annual fundraising events
- Develops proactive fundraising plans that build a fiscal surplus, diversify our funding sources, align with our strategic plan, and are future focused.
- Acts as a spokesperson for MINT in the community by:
- Assuring a strong, positive image for MINT in the community; and being visible in the community by leading initiatives, accepting speaking invitations, attending events, and participating in activities related to MINT’s mission.
- Creating and maintaining relationships with press and media, partners, opinion leaders, funders and existing and potential members, sponsors, and donors.
- Implementing an ongoing plan of communication and outreach with MINT’s stakeholders throughout the year, including newsletters, traditional media, social media, events, blogging, and other media channels that resonate with audiences interested in contemporary art, including collectors and donors
The ideal candidate has a passion for building community, understanding that honest and transparent communication fosters an environment where people want to do their best. Proven track record of supporting organizational development and leadership for growing nonprofits History of successful fundraising for individuals, government grants, corporate donors, family foundations for nonprofits between $350K-$500K+ Grant writing and fundraising experience required. Must possess impeccable written and verbal communication skills Broad general knowledge and interest in the contemporary art and arts administration Interpersonal skills with a personal and professional commitment to DEI and demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives in an equitable and inclusive fashion. Must remain approachable to every individual and partner that intersects with the organization and be committed to an exploration of power and privilege, with a willingness to self-reflect and experience discomfort in difficult and transformative conversations. Proficiency with GSuite, Salesforce, QuickBooks and Slack. Associate of Arts degree in Visual Arts, Humanities, Art History or Arts Administration preferred but not required.
Located in Atlanta, GA
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Application deadline: 4/30/2021