Overview of Position
Internship – Fall
James Cohan Gallery is currently seeking part-time interns for the fall season.
James Cohan Gallery’s internships consist of projects related to exhibitions and general gallery arts administration. This is an opportunity for a student or recent graduate to gain experience in a fast-moving commercial gallery in the contemporary art world. Interns will work closely with gallery staff, including the sales team, artist liaisons, and directors. Interns will learn about exhibition planning, client development, and art historical research and writing, as well as general gallery administration to get an in-depth exposure to the inner workings of a contemporary gallery.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual with a strong eye for detail, ability to multi-task and maintain a positive attitude, and excellent communication skills. They must also be dependable, punctual and curious.
Timeline & Compensation
The Fall internship is expected to run from September – December, 2021 with the possibility of extension. We offer hourly compensation. The internship may be completed for school credit if desired.
- Plan anInterns will be supervised by Gallery Associates and paired with a sales Director/Artist liaison who will act as their mentor for the duration of the internship, offering guidance and specific project supervision.
- Formulating and completing research projects in collaboration with a Sales Director.
- Having weekly meetings setting priorities.
- Honing communication skills through contact with gallery staff, including phone calls, zoom meetings, email.
- Learning platforms like google drive organization, interfacing with art databases including ArtLogic., and introduction to online design softwares.
The position is expected to be part-time or full-time in-person. There are opportunities at our Tribeca gallery, which is open to the public from 10am to 6pm (Tuesday-Saturday).
- Interns will have opportunities to have one-on-one conversations and dialogues with senior staff.
- Interns will have the opportunity to attend one studio visit in company of senior staff member
- Interns will be involved in the preparation of exhibition and art fair materials.
- Interns will have the opportunity to meet with other gallery staff, including Registrars, Director of Finance and Archivist to learn about their role at James Cohan.
- Interns will attend virtual gallery-hosted artist talks and/or panel discussions.
Current undergraduate and graduate students, and recent graduates encouraged to apply.
Email: Kathryn [email protected]
Location: New York, NY
Application Deadline: 08/31/2021