Overview of Position
James Cohan Gallery is currently seeking an experienced Director/Artist Liaison to work full-time at their Lower Manhattan location.
The Director/Artist Liaison is a leadership position that requires a high level of autonomy, proactivity and professionalism. The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of gallery experience and be able to work both independently and as part of a team with equal efficacy. The successful candidate will be able to work closely and harmoniously with all levels of employees; from technical staff and registrars to directors and gallery owners. As an organization, we pride ourselves on building and maintaining a collegial and friendly working environment that values collaboration across disciplines, with a common purpose of supporting our artists in the many facets of the contemporary art world.
- Primary liaison for multiple gallery’s artists.
- Oversee all artist projects from start to finish, including, but not limited to: exhibitions (commercial and institutional), book production, commissions, museum initiatives, securing inventory, grant and residency applications, James Cohan online platform presentations, and tracking artist schedules.
- Must keep the gallery staff updated on all such activities.
- Field incoming queries pertaining to gallery artists, including exhibition, press, and donation requests.
- Cultivate new client relationships and nurture existing clientele.
- Director should be able to close sales independently and strategize offers in collaboration with the sales team.
- Attend domestic and international art fairs, as both a sales representative and in a supportive capacity.
- Speak confidently and eloquently about artists’ processes and works.
- Strong written and verbal skills, and English fluency, are a must.
- Represent the gallery at openings, book launches, dinners, artist talks, and other related events.
- Facilitate museum exhibitions and other external shows.
- Monitor exhibition budgets, loans and consignments (oversee registrar) and liaise with museum curators and exhibition lenders.
- Oversee the Gallery Assistant/Archivist and Assistant to the Directors in making sure the website is continually updated.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a commercial gallery. B.A. or Master’s degree in art history, criticism, or theory preferred.
- A comprehensive understanding of the daily inner workings of a commercial art gallery and an in-depth knowledge of the contemporary art market.
- Candidate should have direct sales experience.
- Proven sales records and art fair experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to correspond with collectors, curators, and artists in a professional and effective manner.
- Prior experience working directly with artists is required.
- The candidate should be familiar with the unique and varying needs of both emerging and established artists and demonstrate an ability to manage multiple artist projects simultaneously, from start to finish.
- Experience with platforms such as Art Logic, Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Communication amongst staff is crucial in this role.
The Director/Artist Liaison reports to the gallery partners regarding all aspects of artist oversight, sales strategies, upcoming exhibitions, and any other pertinent information.
Email: [email protected]
Location: New York, NY